Favourite Indoor Plants

18:36:00


I have a serious thing for indoor plants at the moment. I don't know what inspired it - maybe it was the countless hours spent perusing Pinterest or the huge stack of House & Living magazines piled around my house.

Source: My Attic
At last count, I think I have around 10 plants dotted all around my house, I would have waaaaay more but I get in trouble every time I bring a new plant home! Apparently I have enough.. This week I even took a plant to work for my new "office" from my new promotion. It is a gorgeous full peace lily and a beautiful minty geometric pot from k-mart.

I have complied a little list of some of my favourite indoor plants, some are a little harder to kill than others - so those of you with a black thumb can still enjoy the benefits of having indoor plants.

Snake Plant aka Mother in Laws Tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata)

The snake plant can tolerate it all; low-light, direct light, infrequent watering; so it is definitely a good option for those who tend to "over/under love" their indoor plants. A recent study by NASA found that it is one of the best plants for improving air quality in your home.

Source: PureWow

Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata)

The Fiddle Leaf Fig is quite a trendy plant at the moment, you can't open a interior decor magazine without seeing at least one of these beautiful plants in some hip urban lounge room. I absolutely love the look of the FLF and I currently have 2 in my house! They can be a little temperamental to look after - so do your research before investing. I have found that my plants have excelled with a weekly watering (1 cup every sunday at 10am - I even have an alarm set!) producing lots of new leaves since I have put them on this routine.

Source: View Along the Way

Golden Pothos aka Devils Ivy (Epipremnum Aureum)

The Golden Pothos has been around for decades - I remember my parents had one in our bathroom in a hanging pot from the ceiling. I currently have 2 of these as well - even though I shouldn't. Golden Pothos are highly poisonous to cats and dogs. But I have mine in copper geometric hanging baskets from k-mart so that my furry friends cant reach them. They enjoy a filtered light to low light conditions and can be grown in soil or even just in water.

Source: Design Sponge

Succulents

Relatively hard to kill and super low maintenance, just about anybody can grow a succulent. If you have time, you can pinch a few leaves off different succulents and grow them from the leaf. I have quite a few different varieties around my house in various 'pots' - old tea cups, old coffee tins etc. They only need a spray or two once a week in summer and even less in winter.

Source: Free People Blog

Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)

A beautiful green leaf plant that requires low light conditions and watering once a week. It produces white flowers semi-frequently. It placed too close to sunlight the leaves curl up and dry quite easily. It is also slightly poisonous to cat/dogs and humans if ingested.
Source: Google

I love the freshness indoor plants add to your home, it brightens up a dull space and brings a little bit of nature indoors! Next on my list is a Rubber plant - it has big glossy dark green foliage - ugh I get excited just thinking about it!!

What are your favourite indoor plants? What should I pick up next?


Mel x


As always, between posts you can find me:

Instagram: @loadsoflifestyle
Twitter: @loadsoflifestyl
Pinterest: @loadsoflifestyl
Bloglovin': Loads of Lifestyle
Facebook: Loads of Lifestyle


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Ooooo I LOVE the peace Lily! I'm going to have to get one of those! We currently have 0 indoor plants but would love to add one, I think it would be nice! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace lilies are goregous! But they don't like a lot of light! I reckon your bathroom would be the perfect place for a peace lily!! x

      Delete
  2. I am so bad with plants and gardening! I killed my herbs!!! I need your help SOS.
    I need ones that are hard to kill! LOL

    Sarah | Bows & Pleats

    ReplyDelete

Thank You!

Thank you so much for stopping by Loads of Lifestyle! If you like what you see on the blog, please leave a comment and let Mel know. If you would like to see anything in particular on Loads of Lifestyle, please feel free to email Mel: loadsoflifestyle@gmail.com

Featured post

First Impressions: Too Faced Peanut Butter & Jelly Palette

When I got an email from MECCA.com.au saying that I had an exclusive early access to the newest Too Faced release, I knew I just had to p...